music @ UCLA header image 2

Music Graduate composition Student Shares Summer Activities in Croatia and Hungary

October 30th, 2015 · No Comments

Graduate composition student Glen Llorente has sent us an update on last summer’s activities, which include studying at the Upbeat! International Summer School for Composition (July 25 ? August 5, 2015), and an orchestral collaboration project with the Danube Symphony Orchestra in Budapest, Hungary.

With regard to the Upbeat! experience, he says:

“This summer, I was accepted into the Upbeat! International Summer School for Composition (July 25 ? August 5, 2015).

I studied with Joel Hoffman, and composed a new piece, ?A Dream within a Dream? for soprano, alto saxophone, and found percussion. (You may hear and see the performance of this piece at this link: https://youtu.be/tEUWm81MrsY) It
had an excellent premiere, performed by the participating composer-performers in the festival. I was also able to create lasting connections from the international performers and composers in the course.

This summer course consisted of a series of daily group seminars with Professor Joel Hoffman, and daily rehearsals of each composer-performer?s work. All of us participated and I learned so much about being a composer-performer?that we, as both composers and performers, are greatly interdependent upon each other. I also learned much about performance and rehearsal practices, having been involved in six pieces? rehearsals and performances.

I also learned so much about the culture in Croatia, having gone to several cultural events and outdoor group activities in Milna and nearby on the island of Brač. The course culminated in a final concert by all of us composer-performer participants. All of us had our pieces well performed. It was such a tremendous experience and I am so grateful for your support for this opportunity!

Here’s the info of the summer school:

Upbeat! International Summer School
Joel Hoffman
http://e.upbeat.hr
https://www.facebook.com/groups/186698861427098/

Here’s a photo of the Upbeat! participants:
UpBeat-500

Glenn went on to share this information with the experience of working with the Danube Symphony Orchestra:

“I had a wonderful experience, working with the Danube Symphony Orchestra in Budapest, Hungary, and with guest conductor, Samer Hatoum from Dublin, Ireland. I was introduced to the orchestra via Samer Hatoum, and had two of my orchestral scores read and recorded: my piano concerto, David and Goliath?of which is piano solo was beautifully performed by Kitra Pess from Vienna, Austria; and Solace for orchestra.

Having been introduced to the orchestra, being an upcoming new music composer, the Danube Symphony is thrilled to partner with me, Samer, and other new music composers, to put together a concert series in Europe, to premiere my work!”

Danube1-500p

Danube2-500p

Tags: Alumni · Composers · Composition · Composition · Faculty · Performance · Performance · Performers · School of Music · Students

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

You must log in to post a comment.