music @ UCLA header image 2

Updates from grad student Josh Fishbein and graduate Jorge Uzcategui

November 21st, 2012 · 3 Comments

We have had exciting emails recently from both of these talented students.

Josh Fishbein

Josh Fishbein has entered into a publishing contract with ECS Publishing (see some of our archived news articles and blogs on Josh’s prizewinning compositions) for several of his choral works. A fuller announcement can be read on the ECS website.

Congratulations, Josh!

Jorge Uzcategui

We have also just heard from last year’s graduate student in conducting, Jorge Uzcategui. He writes:

“I wanted to let you know about some of the things I have been doing in the past months–since September, I have had 3 concerts in Brazil, 1 in Recife and 2 in Sao Paulo; 6 concerts in Paraguay, 1 in Asunci?n and 5 in el Bajo Chaco (I will conduct 2 more in Paraguay next week, 1 with the National University of Asunci?n Symphony, and 1 with the Guarambur? Youth String Orchestra); 1 in Venezuela (I will conduct 1 more in Caracas in December with the Mozarteum Orchestra).

I also was awarded first prize in the Paran? Symphony Masterclass Competition, receiving the unanimous vote from all the orchestra members. That extended me an invitation to conduct this ensemble as guest conductor during their 2013 concert season.

I would not be telling you all of these things if it wasn?t because I realize how important it will be to have had UCLA musicians informed about these accomplishments, when I try to continue recruiting forces to build our orchestra focused on teaching kids from low-income families in LA.”

Congratulations on all your well-deserved accolades, Jorge! We miss you, and wish you the best of luck.

Tags: Alumni · Composers · Composition · Composition · Faculty · Performance · Performance · Performers · School of Music · Students

3 responses so far ↓

You must log in to post a comment.