music @ UCLA header image 2

Music Department’s Alexander Technique instructor Jean-Louis Rodrigue, has success in play collaboration

September 7th, 2011 · 5 Comments

We have recently heard the following from Jean-Louis Rodrigue about the success of the play The Syringa Tree:

My dear friends,

I hope you’re enjoying the last days of summer. I’m really happy to give you great news:

On the 24th and 25th of September The Syringa Tree, the Obie, Drama Desk, and Outer Critics Circle award winning play I collaborated with
brilliant playwright Pamela Gien and Larry Moss (director) will perform at the historical and world renowned Piccolo Teatro di Milano for the Festival Trame d’Africa.
This is the link of the festival: http://tramedafrica.outis.it/programma/teatro/

The play ran off-Broadway for over a year and has traveled around the world including at The Royal National Theatre
http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/1196/productions/the-syringa-tree.html

The following is a message from Matt Salinger, the producer of the Syringa Tree:

“Jean-Louis didn’t just help Pamela focus her energy, prepare for her performances, and connect her voice to her body, but he quite literally helped her CREATE many of the characters in her remarkable piece. He helped her distinguish them from one another, and he helped her with her ?magic? of morphing from one to another through his insights into how and where each one’s energy was based, and how to dance with those energies. But perhaps most importantly- to my role as producer at least- Jean Louis helped Pamela maintain her energy through a very, very long run.”

Tags: Performance · Performance · Performers · School of Music

5 responses so far ↓

• ucladancestudio // Sep 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Best of luck with the performances at the festival! Would love to catch The Syringa Tree on the next local showing.

• OnlineDrumTracks // Oct 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm

My dad, a retired voice professor, is a huge proponent of the Alexander Technique. I think this could be used not only for singing and public speaking, but for any wind instrument and even drumming more efficiently. As a session drummer, I am going to look in to the Alexander Technique with my dad’s help with the goal of more focused physical energy.

• jasem // Jul 6, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Thank you Great topic and great post!

• Jay Fisher // Aug 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I’m looking to still take classes with him. Does anyone over here know if this is possible? Been excited with his work these last years especially

• quanjeannam // Sep 13, 2014 at 10:37 am

Nice post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am impressed! Very helpful information particularly the last phase 🙂 I take care of such info a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

You must log in to post a comment.