music @ UCLA header image 2

Music Department junior Bryce Nicastro shares experiences from the California Artist’s Academy

June 28th, 2011 · 1 Comment

group shot
All Photographs by Hand Creative Media

Bryce Nicastro has sent in this update on his recent activities and has shared the fun posters created for this production:

I’ve spent this summer doing what I love and saving up money by utilizing my musical abilities in the real world. For the past year I’ve been director of music for a youth arts conservatory, California Artist’s Academy. We’re a company focused, not so much on production value, but on performance value. We try and instill a heavy classical and technical mindset for our students along with a vast appreciation for the arts. For our end-of-the-semester performance we tackled the renowned Into the Woods by Steven Sondheim. With a cast ranging from elementary to mid-high school, we had an astonishing and quite impressive outcome. I gained valuable teaching experience and a wonderful relationship with my students. I was proud to be a part of this amazing production.

Musically directing Into the Woods opened up so many new doors in my career. After every show I would have other youth directors approach me and compliment my skills and obvious connection with the kids. I was actually asked for my business card ha! The director was so pleased with the result that she offered me a position working private lessons and more classes to teach next semester. Also, after hearing the work I did on sound effects for Into the Woods, a high school director hired me to be sound director of a competitive performance traveling to Scotland for the Edinburgh International Festival this summer.

If you want to see more about our conservatory, you can view our website at www.CaaThePointe.com

EasySitePicture_5106894 EasySitePicture_5106893

EasySitePicture_5106892

EasySitePicture_5106891 EasySitePicture_5106900

EasySitePicture_5106895

Tags: Alumni · Faculty · Performance · Performance · Performers · School of Music · Students

1 response so far ↓

• CharlesSaragossa // Jul 1, 2011 at 7:40 pm

This looks fantastic! When I was in elementary in middle school, I was part of the Charleston Youth Company, which was also a performing crew, with members ranging from elementary to high school–they even had a side orchestra of students to score the show!

Keep spreading the joy, Bryce. 🙂

You must log in to post a comment.