music @ UCLA header image 2

Music Department graduate Rebecca Sjowall joins Arizona Opera’s Young Artist program

August 25th, 2010 · 4 Comments

We have just received the following from voice graduate Rebecca Sjowall :

“I will be joining Arizona Opera’s young artist studio for the 2010/2011 season! I am very excited for this experience for so many reasons, but I especially look forward to making my debut on the mainstage. In October, I’ll be channeling my inner comedienne as Edith in Gilbert & Sullivan’s Pirates of Penzance; while in November, I’ll be a free-spirited gypsy as Frasquita in Bizet’s Carmen. I’ll also be understudying the roles of Mica?la (Carmen), Li? (Turandot) and Desdemona (Otello). It’s going to be quite a ride.”

Rebecca, who received her MM in voice in 2008, is the recipient of numerous awards, which include being a two-time District Winner of the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions as well as Winner of the Barnum Festival Jenny Lind Competition, the Long Beach Mozart Festival Vocal Competition, the Redlands Bowl Young Artist Auditions and the A.E.I.O.U. Nunzio Crisci Opera Scholarship. She was the Second Place Winner of the Palm Springs Opera Guild Competition in 2007, and has been a Finalist in the Czech Republic’s International Anton?n Dvor?k Competition and the Palm Beach Opera Competition. A two-time Society of Singers Scholarship Recipient, she was selected to perform at the 16th Annual ELLA Awards honoring Gladys Knight. She has also received generous support from The Opera Buffs and from composer Stephen Edwards.

photo by Kirsten Koromilas

photo by Kirsten Koromilas

Tags: Performance · Performance · Performers · School of Music

4 responses so far ↓

• Mus14 // Aug 26, 2010 at 9:10 am

She is talented and an award winner. Now her experience leads her in another direction where her career will get even better. She has already proven herself to be a force in the Opera world.

• gina.alessia // Aug 27, 2010 at 5:33 pm

She has an amazing voice. Also, the picture is very beautiful

• Singing Machine Karaoke // Sep 9, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I’ve heard that when she started as Carmen back in 2008, she was absolutely amazing. I can only imagine the performance that she’ll be giving now that she has even MORE experience under her belt. Such a gift.

• cudjex // Sep 10, 2010 at 12:18 am

i was diagnosed with the first opera Rebecca Sjowall

have a really nice voice.

to say nothing of beauty.

You must log in to post a comment.