music @ UCLA header image 2

Anne Akiko Meyers–2008 Regents Lecturer in the UCLA Department of Music

February 21st, 2008 · 6 Comments

Anne Akiko Meyers, one of today’s most exciting violinists, will be in residence for two weeks in May 2008 at the UCLA Department of Music as a Regents Lecturer. She is making a quick trip to California in February as well, and we encourage you to attend one of the exciting events presented blow.

FEBRUARY 23-MUSEUM OF MAKING MUSIC
Italian Recital with Kevin Fitz-Gerald in CARLSBAD, CALIFORNIA

violin_tease1.jpg
February 23: Violin in America Panel Discussion
At 2 PM, join two world-renowned instrument makers and a leading entrepreneur-turned-advocate for violin education in a whirlwind tour of the past, present, and future of violin and bow making. Guided by the founder and publisher of Strings Magazine, this expert panel leads you through the instrument’s birth in the Italian Renaissance, its arrival in the New World, and the recent advances in technology that are reshaping the craft of violin and bow making. Tickets are $10 for the general public; $7 for students and Free for Museum Members.

akiko_tease2.jpg
February 23: Violin in America Opening Reception
The special exhibition “The Violin in America: Old World Tradition, New World Sound” explores the transplanting of European violin making traditions to American soil. The Opening Reception for this exhibition takes place on February 23 and features the talented Anne Akiko Meyers and The Hutchins Consort. Reservation are required. Tickets are $30; Members can purchase tickets for $20.

FEBRUARY 25th-COLBURN SCHOOL OF PERFORMING ARTS, LOS ANGELES, CA.
MASTERCLASS FROM 2-4 PM

FEBRUARY 26-CHAPMAN UNIVERSITY, ORANGE COUNTY, CA.
MASTERCLASS FROM 2-4 PM

anne_meyers3.jpg
FEBRUARY 28-MARCH 2, PACIFIC SYMPHONY WITH CARL ST.CLAIR
ORANGE COUNTY, CA.
MENDELSSOHN CONCERTO

http://pacificsymphony.entericorp.com/show_details.php?shid=123

Tags: Faculty · Music History · Music history · Musicologists · Musicology · Performance · Performance · Performers · School of Music · Students

6 responses so far ↓

• Leonard // May 16, 2008 at 1:41 am

A friend of my wife and I emailed us about Anne Akiko Meyers being at Schoenberg Hall in the evening. I’d not heard of her, but we thought a musical evening might be just the thing.

Let me cut to the chase: I’ve been a musician for 60 years, and Meyers is the most incredible and exciting violinist I have ever heard. She is quantum leaps beyond the rest of the pack. Her music is played with luminous passion; her phrasing is clean and pure as is the way she shapes her musical lines; her technique is easily up to and beyond the most demanding passages. Her sound ranges from absolutely luscious (what an astounding Strad she plays!) to the kind of masculine grittiness I’ve heard only from Zino Francescatti.

What great fortune to hear her live from near the front row as my first experience of her. At the end of the concert, I was on my feet cheering like a teenybopper at a rock concert.

• hamilelik belirtileri // Sep 1, 2010 at 5:11 am

• fitflops sale // Dec 17, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I had the good fortune to see Anne Akiko Meyers perform last year in New York. She Is an amazing talent and I can’t wait to see her again!

Imogen

• Jimmy Wilson // Aug 19, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Such a nice blog, you really provide me some great information. i am going to bookmark this blog, share with my friends and will definitely visit here again. Thanks for your article.

• gebelik // Sep 24, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for your article.

• alldiycraft // May 29, 2014 at 4:29 am

we thought a musical evening might be just the thing.

You must log in to post a comment.